Configuring your storage unit for maximum efficiency takes a little bit of work, but it will pay off in the end — especially if you plan to access your items while they are in storage.
Consider these tips when moving into the storage unit:
- Map out your unit so anytime you are looking for a specific item, you can find it quickly.
- If there are certain items you plan on retrieving before others, place them closer to the entrance of the unit.
- Plan and maintain a walkway through the center of the unit so items at the back are easily reached.
- Place the largest items in the unit first.
- Maximize your space by storing items inside larger items (such as bins, drawers, etc.).
- For ventilation, leave some space along the sides of the unit.
- When storing appliances, keep doors slightly ajar.
- For safety reasons, do not stack boxes too high. Place the heaviest boxes on the floor before placing others on top of them.
- Put a protective covering over the floor if necessary.
- Store mirrors along edges rather instead of laying flat.
- Disassemble large furniture like beds to save space, wrapping legs and covering wood and upholstered items.